Followers

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Green Gorillas

Last year’s Rad am Ring was epic!  Not only did our Stuttgart Local Area biCycle Rider (SLACR) Crew take 11th out of 81 teams in the road competition, it was a tail of cold, wet rain that challenged each of us to the core.  We were not as prepared as we thought, we were short on proper clothing, adequate food, heat, and just about everything.  It was a vertical learning curve . . .


This year was certainly different.  Not only did we double our numbers by adding an 8-man Stuttgart American Cycling Community (SACC) MTB crew, we did a much better job preparing for battle.  Structured planning was done on the fly but effective.  We snagged an RV (The Command Center), had plenty of tents (last year we all huddled in one out of the rain), enough food to last the campaign (pulled pork and Thai food on the first night . . .  YUM!!!), plenty of beer (a necessity), and even a session of Looney Tunes the night before battle.  It could not get much better than that . . .
Nothing says "American" like
Looney Tunes after sunset

This year also saw myself and 3 other members of Evolution Cycling Club p/b Long & Foster competing in the 75 km German Cycling Cup (GCC) race on the Nürburgring.  Two GCC races were offered . . . one at 150K and the other at 75K.  GCC points are award for the top 200 finishers and include pints for place + distance completed.  Having missed the last GCC race, I had fallen 10 places to 78th in my age group of 3232 registered competitors.  With finishing in the top 100 for my age group remaining my season goal, math told me to tackle the 150K. My legs corrected the complex mental algebra nothing that 150K and competing in a 24hr race would separate me from reality and certainly place me on some imaginary plane.  The 75K and three times up the 17% grade of The Green Hell was most likely enough to secure a few points and remain on track with my season goals. At least this is how my proof ended . . .

Little America!
“Little America” . . . our little Compound on the Nürburgring grounds . . . was alive the morning of race day.  Food began to flow as Danny Havard made Southwest and Salmon omelettes with spinach and feta cheese.  We were living large!  Despite the fact that my training had slipped and I did not have the form I wanted to have, it was going to be a great day.  There was too much of a positive vibe in the air.  It was AWESOME!!!

Recalling the start last year, I knew I needed a good warm up so I set about doing that on my trainer while others wondered if I was dipping too far into the TURTLE tank too soon.  The crew was perhaps all correct as there was a 30 - 40 min hurry up and wait on the line before the start.  As we sat there in the beating sun, I did all I could to remain focused on the task at hand . . .

The mass start was a bit different than other events.  Folks were actually taking their time rolling out.  I guess those were the cats on a Saturday Stroll. HAMMER, Jenn, Yosh, and I needed GCC points so it was on from the word, “LOS” . . .

I cut through the field looking for fast wheels to take me around the Grand Prix portion of the track.  They were all up the road and I was chasing.  At the crest of the first roller, HAMMER came up from behind me and I followed him down to the wicked descent to the base of The Green Hell . . .

The climb starts at km 11 and ends at 14.5 and as I said, includes grades of 17%.  This first time up was pure adrenaline.  I kicked the tires and lit the cans and pressed up hard as I could.  Bikes were stopping left and right as folks cramped, walked, and just said NO.  It was brutal and I was loving it!

I hit the top, rolled through a rest station where folks that started in the wave ahead of me were already stopped to recover.  I pressed on grabbing gears as I went.  Two more big rollers and I was back on the GP track and picking up speed for lap 2 . . .

The hills are full of Gorillas!
The second time up was a bit painful.  The adrenaline was still there but the pressure on my lower back and legs was also apparent.  Lap 2 was a slug fest and I could feel the gorillas starting to emerge from the tree line and jump on my back.  I stood when and where I could to stay right outside their grasp.  As I hit the GP track I again picked up speed and zipped around to start lap 3. . .

The field had cleared out so I focused on picking the best line I could as I bombed down to the 11K marker.  I focused on getting as aero as I could.  I was a few kilos heavier and on a heavier bike last year.  I recalled seeing speeds of close to 100kph.  The closest I got this go was more like 75 - 80kph.  UGH!!!  20 - 25% difference over 3 laps was more than I wanted to give.  I will need to work on more flexibility and a tighter tuck next year . . . but I digress.

Hitting the 11km marker I could see the Gorillas at the tree line.  Some were already in full stride jumping on the back of others as I passed.  Half way up the climb the leaders of the 6 lap, 150K race came by me like I was standing still.  I have so much to learn and so much work to do to climb like these cats.  I tried to jump on the train but it was of little use as 2 Gorillas had already decided to go for a TURTLE joy ride . . .

These guys were heavy and I was mashing my bailout gear.  OUCH!  My knees were starting to buckle and I was just about to break when I hit the top.  I gave a shake and darted away from their grip as I refused to give them any more pleasure of a TURTLE freebie.  The focus now became any number representing my start block.  I started picking them off one-by-one hoping that each was one place higher and a few more points for the bucket . . .

Out of an age group field of about 185, I was near the middle of the pack at 109th.  Not my best performance but far from my worse (like the last GCC race).  I took my points, went to camp to fuel, hydrate and nap.  The 24hr race had already started and I was slated to do three more laps at 2200 . . .

Mitchell, at 15 and our youngest rider on the 24hr team had completed his 1st lap.  He finished in a respectable 1+10 and when I asked him how it went his response that he has two more chances to break an hour was priceless!  

This year we were also blessed to have Yosh in camp.  She hit it hard in the GCC race and then turned around to provide the Roadie and MTB team massages.  Talk about being spoiled.  This was AWESOME!!!

As my time to hit the track approached.  I started to waiver a bit.  Perhaps I should stick to the one lap that the rest of the crew was doing.  I had done 2 last year and felt I could have gone for 3.  But that was without racing in the GCC.  The crew tried to talk me out of it and offered to be at the change out point after the second lap so I had a safety net.  With that, I decided to put my legs into action and back up the trash I was talking.  Starting at 2230, I was going long as darkness covered the circuit . . .

Into the darns I ride. . .
The first lap was a bit of a wake up.  I could feel the previous 75K effort.  I did not fell great but I did not feel bad either.  In the dark, moonless sky, I hit the 11K marker and set into my groove.  I passed a few, a few folks passed me.  I hit the top. rocketed through the GP track and went for 2.  It seemed to work, it felt like it was working, so forward I drove . . .

As I rolled through our transition point on lap 2 both Trent and Danny were waiting for me.  Trent, one who can suffer more than most I know, was ready to ride.  I foolishly said . . . “I have one more in me” and when asked how long, I responded, “65 min or so” — I WAS ON DRUGS!!!  The first lap took 62, the second 70.  My math was all bad.  I was about to fail the quiz (again).

I took off for my hat trick and rocketed to my most loved 11K marker to start my final climb up The Green Hell . . .

Did the Gorillas not know it was 0100?  I thought for a moment I could sneak by them.  WRONG!  They came out in force striking crushing blows.  My legs were screaming through the just under 4K of climbing.  My lap time was increasing and the desired repeat of 3 laps in under 3 hours was lost . . .

Yet at the top of the Green Hell I knew I had given my all and it was to be my last time up the beast until next year.  A line in the darkness was set.  A goal made . . . I will repeat the exact same profile in 2015.

Back to Little America I pushed and was actually able to grab a passing wheel for the last few Ks before the GP track.  There I found Trent still up with Mitchell set for the handoff . . .

I crashed for a good 4 hours as the rest of the crew hit the circuit.  The MTB crew was in full battle mode racing through the night and early hours.  It was impressive.

As the sun rose the night was discussed and after racing the MTB course, ANIMAL (Aaron Ross) began to config his Road rig for a run for one final run.  I retraced my words of not waiting to face the Gorillas camped out at The Green Hell and prep’d for battle as well.  The move rippled through the road team and all ready for one final lap.  Tired and battered we each grabbed a can of Coors Light to take to the top of the climb.  This was pure American style at its best . . .

We wanted the Full Monty and this would mean Trent would have to do back-to-back laps.  DUPMER (Erich Schmunk) grabbed and extra Coors and I a water bottle as we went to meet Trent at the changeout point . . .

With 8 riders lined up to include Mitchell, Trent’s initial response was, “NO WAY” . . . but the Coors won him over and off we went.  It was the best lap of the last 24 hrs and perhaps one of the best times I have had on the bike.  At marker 11 we left blood on the track as Mark cut his fingers fixing a dropped chain.  Yet this phased him not as he added waffles and chocolate to our Coors beer party at the top of The Green Hell.
Slamming silver bullets at the top of The Green Hell
The Gorillas was all gone now. Like us, they had had their fill and had retreated back to the tree lines from which they came.  In truth, I think the sounds of laughter and perhaps the smell of Coors sent them running for their lives.  My legs hurt but the laughs seemed to make it all go away.  It is times like this that keep me riding and competing.  It just does not get much better . . .


Life is again confirmed as bikeROCKstar!
The 24 Hr Rad am Ring Crew + 2

No comments:

Post a Comment